Online optical character recognition
The service will help you convert online pictures of the format: jpg, jpeg, png, bmp, pbm to text. This will make it easier to work with the text: it will allow you to copy it into a convenient file of any format, check spelling or conduct SEO analysis. Image conversion is available in 30+ languages (list at the bottom of the page), spell check is available on most of them.
How does it work?
OCR is an optical image recognition technology that works online at tesseract.js. It identifies and converts scanned hardcopy characters into a digital format, which is more easily recognized by PCs and various applications. Simply put, the technology recognizes text by examining it and translating the characters into code for subsequent data processing, meaning a physical document becomes machine-readable.
OCR software converts your document into a black-and-white or two-color version. The bitmap image is then analyzed for dark areas (text) and light areas (background). The dark areas are then recognized as characters and the software analyzes them to discern numbers and letters.
What are the possible uses of this software?
The service is useful for those who need to transfer text from a scanner into digital form, or recognize text on a photo and get it in the form of a text document. This technology is often used by professionals whose work involves processing large amounts of printed material and physical documents – so large that it is not feasible to manually type them out.
The recognized text can be edited and formatted in a regular text editor. This simplifies the processing of large amounts of text that originally do not come in digital format.
What kind of texts are the easiest to recognize?
For a text to be recognized with no errors, it must meet the following requirements:
- it must be a scanned copy of a text or a clear photo made with a smartphone camera;
- all characters must be straight;
- there must be a clear contrast between the symbols and the background;
- the text must be easily legible;
- the background of the text must be monochromatic.
The service cannot recognize handwritten texts, captchas, and texts with an uneven or noisy background.
How do I optimize a photo, screenshot, or image for better conversion quality?
Refer to the previous paragraph and try to maximize the contrast between the symbols and the background, while keeping the background as monochromatic as possible.
How do I use the service?
For users like you, it is quite simple:
- Take a picture of a text with your phone/camera or scan the text you want to recognize. The supported formats are: jpg, jpeg, png, bmp, and pbm.
- Click on "Upload file."
- Select the file on your computer.
- Wait for the document to be processed – it takes less than a minute.
- Copy the text and save the result in your preferred format:
- Plain text (.txt)
- Adobe Acrobat (.pdf)
- Microsoft Word (.docx)
- OpenOffice (.odf)
Functionality for downloading files in a set/selected format will be implemented at a later date.
There is no limit on the number of files that can be recognized at no charge. No registration or payment required.
What can I do with the recognized text?
Now you have a wide range of choices of what to do with the converted text. You can:
- check spelling;
- perform a SEO analysis to calculate the number of words and symbols;
- save for further use on your device.
- In a few clicks, you get a text converted from a picture, ready for editing and processing.
- The processing it strictly confidential and is protected by the SSL+ certificate.
- Your files and recognized texts are not stored within the service and are not evaluated in any way.
- Recognition of a file of any size never takes no more than a minute.
- No registration required.
- No installation required: all the work is done in a browser (any browser).
Translation into other languages
If you are interested in the service being able to translate large amounts of converted text, make sure to send us an email(firstname.lastname@example.org) – we will work to implement such functionality.
List of languages to convert
Afrikaans, Albanian, Ancient Greek, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cherokee, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, English (Old), Esperanto, Esperanto alternativ, Estonian, Finnish, Frankish, French, French (Old), Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Internet Meme, Italian, Italian (Old), Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Math, Norwegian, Old Spanish, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Latin), Slovakian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese